Preventing water wastage
Water – a precious resource – is used for two purposes: it is used in stores and it is used for product supply and manufacture. At each level, Carrefour implements initiatives to reduce its requirements and to manage flows more effectively.
- Reduce water consumption in stores
Each section has its own specific water requirements. But they all have the same requirements as far as hygiene and cleanliness are concerned.
- Rigourous cleaning has to be carried out (equipment and floors have to be washed, etc.) in all sections – butcher’s, delicatessen, bakery, etc. – if the requisite hygiene and cleanliness standards are to be met. At the fish counter, ice is produced so that fish can be stored in the right conditions. All personnel are also required to observe strict hygiene rules (regarding hand washing, for example). And the green spaces inside stores and in the outside areas all need to be appropriately watered.
- Whenever possible, rainwater is recovered. It can then be used to clean certain areas (carparks, floors, etc.)
- An 8.9% reduction in water consumption per square metre across all sales areas within the group in two years – this is the result of everybody's ongoing efforts.
- Supporting our suppliers
By providing them with tools for self-assessing their compliance with the principles of sustainable development or specifications for the Carrefour quality line products, suppliers are encouraged to reduce their water consumption: by installing drip irrigation systems, for example.
In store sections, provide customers with incentives
- Keeping an eye on how much you spend helps prevent climate change! To help customers make changes to their lifestyles, reduce their water bills and generate savings, Carrefour sells – for example – water-saving taps, tanks for recovering rainwater, eco-certified maintenance products, etc.
- Products which are regularly on special offer so that as many people as possible can afford them and so adopt a more sustainable lifestyle.
First Free Range Chicken reared without antibiotic treatment under the “Calidad y Origen Carrefour” brand.
Carrefour Spain has launched the first free range chicken reared...Read more
Between 19 and 20 February, Carrefour Brazil launched its first...Read more
Carrefour Poland’s C4 Retail Lab incubator, which started up in 2017...Read more