International Women’s Day, 12% increase in the share of women making up Carrefour’s management staff
Carrefour has more than 11,900 stores which are reflections of the neighbourhoods and communities in which they trade. All year round, it implements concrete initiatives designed to promote a more equal gender balance in all of the company's professions and at all levels.
In a bid to help them get promoted to senior management level, Carrefour launched the "Women Leaders" programme in 2011. While encapsulating the joint ambition that is shared by all the countries in which the Group operates, this programme is also tailored to cater to specific local situations, encouraging people to share examples of best practice.
Initiatives to promote a gender balance implemented at local level all year round
Carrefour supports the professional development of its employees and attaches particular importance to the role that women – who make up nearly 58% of its staff – play within the company. It does this via a selection of dedicated initiatives.
The Women Leaders programme is implemented at local level via:
- Dedicated careers committees for singling out talented women and providing them with support throughout their careers;
- Systematic searches of applications from women, with a compulsory 50% female quota submitted for each position to be filled;
- A women's mentoring scheme led by senior managers, as is the case in France, Argentina and Italy;
- Initiatives to help women strike a better work/life balance, such as the introduction of corporate crèches in France, with the provision of a hundred or so cradles and improvements made to women's working time when they come back from maternity leave in Carrefour Argentina – their working hours are more flexible and they can get paid a full salary for working part-time;
- Women's networks, such as the "Carrefour por elas” network in Brazil, and the “Carrefour’Elles” network in France made up of 150 women managers;
- Mixed networks and networks of men committed to bringing about gender equality in the company, such as “Hombres por la igualdad” in Argentina.
And in 2016, Carrefour introduced awareness-raising initiatives on the theme of gender violence, together with schemes to prevent marital violence in France, Belgium, Italy and Argentina, both in stores and at head offices.
Download the press release "International Women’s Day" (pdf 624.27 KB)
At Group level:
12% increase in women in managerial roles since 2011 – women now account for 39.2% of management
All of these initiatives have helped increase the share of women working in managerial roles in Carrefour by 12% – women now account for 39.2% of management (figures published at the end of 2016).
Carrefour is doing even better in Taiwan, where women account for 47.3% of management, in Romania, where women account for 52.2% of management and in Poland, where they account for 63.4% of management. Argentina is another example: the number of women managers practically doubled in two years – it had risen to 40% by 2016, from only 23% in 2014.
And Carrefour has appointed several women managers to key positions throughout the company – logistics, finance, digital, etc. – in various countries (France, Italy, Argentina, Brazil etc.).
Gender diversity promoted with labour representatives
A signatory of the Diversity Charter since 2004 and the UN Women Committee's “Women Empowerment Principles” since 2013, every year, Carrefour enters into nearly 200 agreements with its labour representatives in France and other countries on issues such gender equality.
These include an international agreement entered into in 2015 with international union federation UNI Global Union on promoting social dialogue, diversity and respect for basic human rights. A declaration issued by members of the European Consultation and Information Committee pertaining to gender equality is in the appendices of this agreement.
First Free Range Chicken reared without antibiotic treatment under the “Calidad y Origen Carrefour” brand.
Carrefour Spain has launched the first free range chicken reared...Read more
Between 19 and 20 February, Carrefour Brazil launched its first...Read more
Carrefour Poland’s C4 Retail Lab incubator, which started up in 2017...Read more