Employment & Aid: Carrefour is taking action to help young people and guide them back to employment
To celebrate the third Youth Employment Day on 22 March 2017, Carrefour – France's leading private employer – is opening up its stores and warehouses to provide young people with an overview of its 120 different job types.
The event is an opportunity to raise the public's awareness of various initiatives designed to help young people get onto – or get back onto – the job market.
A day showcasing the retailer's 120 different job types
In 2015, 9000 young people took part in Youth Employment Day. Since it was first held, the event has established itself as a not-to-be-missed fixture and given its success, Carrefour is once again organising meetings with employees at its Carrefour hypermarkets, Carrefour Market supermarkets and at a number of its warehouses on 22 March between 10 AM and 6 PM. The idea is to let young people and their parents know about the various jobs on offer in stores, at warehouses and at head office. They'll get advice on how to look for a job (coaching workshop, drafting a CV, etc.) and will also be able to find out about training opportunities – as well as actually applying for jobs. There will also be a conference/debate in Paris featuring several stakeholders involved in employment, all of which are taking action to help the most vulnerable young people gain access to the job market.
Carrefour – focused on helping the disadvantaged and providing young people with access to employment
As the leading private recruiter in France, Carrefour has a social responsibility to help young people get onto the job market.
Many people have their first experience of employment with Carrefour, which offers excellent career opportunities for all types of candidate – whether they be qualified or not, and irrespective of how much experience they have.
In addition to the long-established jobs in retail (food-related jobs – baker, butcher, fishmonger – store manager, warehouse manager, order picker, etc.), the company also offers a number of new jobs in e-commerce and jobs which involve digital technologies (web designer, community manager, digital marketing manager, etc.).
Of the 42,000 people hired in 2016, 60% were young people under the age of 26".
Numerous specific partnerships for young people who have been out of work for a long time
Having signed up to the Enterprises & Neighbourhoods Charter in 2013, Carrefour has made helping young people to get onto the job market one of the priorities of its human resources policy, and takes action by implementing initiatives designed to help the most vulnerable.
As a long-established partner of job centres and local organisations, Carrefour has helped 300 young people get jobs through the numerous partnerships it has entered into with local stakeholders, including:
- Local organisations: 26 pupils from the Villeneuve-la-Garenne professional school tested a module designed to introduce young people to working life with France's ministry for education; 3 pupils were taken on by the Job Centre to undertake introductory internships and get ready for working life.
– Restaurants du Cœur: 14 beneficiaries interested in food-related professions were taken on by Carrefour Market stores in order to be awarded Professional Qualification Certificates and work as butchers, giving them access to stable, long-term jobs;
– The Second Chance School: as part of a partnership entered into in 2014 with the Chelles Second Chance School in the eastern suburbs of Paris, a national agreement will be signed on 4 April 2017;
10 young people have already been hired by Carrefour as part of this partnership which is designed to support young adults who have dropped out of school;
– An innovative scheme with Coca Cola France designed to introduce young schoolchildren to a number of jobs in retail: a bespoke scheme was created in 2016 to highlight the various stages involved in a Coca Cola bottle's life-cycle for young teenagers at a vocational school in the southern Paris suburbs, while at the same time getting them to think about their future education.
June 6th to 9th, Carrefour Brasil took part in the 14th edition of the...Read more
● Carrefour is the first retailer partnering with Google in France on...Read more